Here is an excerpt from the conversation between two friends working in corporate sector holding different positions. The two friends discuss the importance of training and development to employees and how it has helped one of them in climbing the ladder up in an organization so fast while both the friends joined the jobs at the same time.
Reema: Hello Seema, how are you and how is your professional life going
Seema: Hello, I am good and my professional life is going superbly.
Seema: Hey, I forgot to mention that I recently got promoted
Reema: Wow, Congratulations! Be ready for the treat
Seema: Thanks, yes sure. How is your job going
Reema: Not well, I am still at the same place where I started
Seema: Your company does not organize training and development programmes
Reema: No we do not have such programs. Do your company have?
Seema: Yes, our company regularly holds training and development session for their employees and this is the main reason for my early promotions
Reema: Can you tell me the importance of these training programs
Seema: Yes, why not ill just tell you the importance of these training programs
It is important to invest in continuous training and development of employees as both can leverage the benefits. It makes survival of the business easy in this competitive and changing environment. Employees commit fewer mistakes which are mainly because of the lack of information and expertise. It helps employee retention, loyalty and ultimately boosts productivity.
Studies have shown that 39.3% of job seekers today consider “growth” the distinguish and top most priority while selecting a job opportunity. Therefore, it is imperative that your HR department device continuous and regular training programs for existing staff which enables them to climb the ladder up the corporate ladder. Training helps you to grow professionally and personally. Your training programs must be under the organizational objectives and industry norms that keep employees abreast of new trends.
Some organizations do not hold training sessions for their employees because of the cost involved in conducting these sessions and they feel wastage of time as employees will attend these classes and will lead to delay in the office work. This delay is worth taking than the delay in the success of the organization and they take a setback. Companies need to understand the benefits of these training programs that are worth taking.
Seema: This is the major reason that you have not been able to climb in your organization, you are having problems to work with the changing industry and your company is failing.
Reema: Yes, you are right. Can you please tell me the benefits of employee training and development
Seema: Needless to say. I will tell you all the benefits of training and development. Listen carefully.
Training and development can be initiated for a number of reasons.
- If the organization feels the improvement in the performance of the employees
- To achieve the set benchmark through improvement in performance
- Ensuring overall professional development and growth of the employee
- To make an employee eligible for a planned change in the organization. It forms the part of succession planning
- To train them for some specific topics and position
- To test the operation of the performance management system
The employee is trained in topics related to:
- Communication: Diversity in languages and relations with foreign countries require employees to know 2-3 languages apart from Hindi and English like French, German
- Computer Skills: Every work is done on the computer. Train employees in computer handling and related activities
- Customer service: Training of employees in the handling of the customers, meeting their requirements as today we have a global marketplace
- Quality Initiatives: Initiatives such as total quality management, quality circles, benchmarking requires basic training, concept clarity.
Benefits of employee training and development
- Addresses Weak Links: Company organizes training programs when they address weak links in the performance of the employees. Training strengthens skills of the employees and improves their existing skills. It ensures that the same mistakes are not repeated again and again. Take control of negative points, work upon it and increase productivity
- Increase in employee satisfaction: The employees appreciate continuous training as they feel the company is investing in them. They feel valued and more satisfied with their job. Satisfied employees work harder for the job and for promotions
- Improve Employee performance: us undertake Training for the sole reason to boost employee performance. Regular training empowers employees. Training gives them the confidence that they can tackle any problem and understand the changing environment and they work with an increased level of productivity. They think of new ideas and increasing organizational efficiency.
Seema: I hope I was clear enough and all your questions related to employee training and development are clear.
Reema: Yes, thank you. I will now look for a change of job which provides continuous employee training and development.
So training not only helps employee development but retention as well.
If you are looking for Corporate Trainers, you may check our trainers here.