NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming. As the words suggest, ‘Neuro’ means ‘relating to the nerves or the nervous system’, ‘Linguistic’ means ‘relating to language’ and ‘Programming’ is organizing a set of rules to bring about a process.
So, how are these terms related?
Basically, NLP uses language to change the way we process thoughts and re-program our neurons to achieve the desired behavior accordingly. It aims at achieving human excellence through unconsciousness.
Let us reconsider the terms now,
- ‘Neuro’ refers to our unique system of processing everything around us. We filter out what is not needed and pay attention to what is. This is the first mental map that is called “First Access” in the NLP. It consists of visual images, sounds, external and internal sensations including olfaction, gustation, spatial, tactile and so on.
- ‘Linguistic’ refers to the meaning we make, out of the information received from our senses. We make sense of the images, sounds, and other sensations by assigning a language to them, by forming a second mental map called the Linguistic Map or Linguistic Representation in the NLP.
- ‘Programming’ refers to the change in mind and behavior as a result of neurological filtering of what is needed and the process of giving meaning through the linguistic map.
Hence, we will know how programs in our mind are structured and how we can access them through language; to replace certain habitual thoughts, feelings, and reactions that cause a hindrance in our day-to-day lives. It will enrich our map and wipe out unnecessary assumptions and patterns of thinking.
For example, You might feel gloomy or cheerful when it is about to rain (because of the weather). Grey clouds or the wind blowing on your face could make you feel in a specific way. Let’s say – Grey clouds refer to darkness, thunder, cotton, painting and so on. The wind could also be related to a number of things like swinging, storm or sleeping under the sky. So, according to your personality and past experiences, you tend to associate feelings with people, objects, situations, etc. in your unconsciousness mind. This is the reason why we feel tense or excited in certain situations ranging from public speaking to go for a picnic.
NLP provides a channel to our inner communication and makes us aware of it. It helps us modify unconscious biases and inspires us to reconsider certain associations that limit us.
So now, how can NLP help employees?
Well, it began in the early 1970s when John Grinder and Richard Bandler teamed up to understand and work towards human excellence. In the process, they identified the patterns of thought, speech, and body language, of successful individuals and wanted to share it with others.
Basically, it is like transferring the skills of a professional to a learner. When an individual understands how a person accomplishes a task, he can attain it too (by understanding a range of perspectives).
NLP is a method of personal development that improves self-reflection, communication, confidence and a whole lot of things. It is commercially applied to achieve work-orientated goals.
NLP helps an individual to:
- Increase self-understanding
- Modify unwanted behaviors
- Achieve goals faster
- Become an effective communicator
- Develop personal and professional relationships
- Increase sensory awareness and subconscious
- Understanding others better (according to their perspective)
NLP is used in:
- Inter-staff communication – NLP improves understanding of oneself, and hence, allows an individual to comprehend others and express themselves without any misunderstandings.
- Leadership – It helps a person put across instructions in an effective manner by making them aware of the way they communicate.
- Presentations – It helps in eliminating unnecessary fears and indirectly reduces stress levels. Hence, an individual can influence the audience by their optimistic approach at large.
- Confidence – NLP makes us master our emotions. We learn to be focused and calm. It helps us use language with great precision leading to persuasive arguments.
- Negotiations and persuasions – One can negotiate and persuade better by understanding the customers’ needs and desires.
When all the employees are happy and goal-orientated, the organization will benefit from maximum work efficiency without any deviations. Because of improved personal effectiveness, every employee will contribute to the success of the business.
If you want to conduct/attend NLP training, please speak with us at +91- 9643749760 or email us at [email protected]