Have you ever fantasized about going to places you have never been or can never go? Places like the galaxy or the moon? Or maybe to London or Paris but don’t have enough money to plan so? Well, how about the idea if you can get the feeling of visiting these places sitting at home? Isn’t that amazing? So the basic idea of virtual reality is this. It creates an environment around you which is not real but you feel you are in a real environment. Have you ever felt in a 3-D movie you are becoming or sometimes feeling like the part of the environment? Virtual reality is an extension and enhancement. This blog will help you understand choose a career in virtual reality.
A career in virtual reality is one of the most chased after a career in today’s modern computer era. And if you think you have the calibre and want to make a career in virtual reality.
but don’t know where to start from? Let us find you.
Actually, you have stopped at the right place. This blog will take you through the concepts, applications, and skills required to make a career in virtual reality.
What is the virtual reality?
Virtual reality is a computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional picture or environment that can interact with in a real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors. Examples of devices giving an experience of virtual reality are:
Oculus touch: Use of Oculus touch controllers are for the gaming experience. They are a pair of tracked controllers that deliver natural ‘hand presence’ – the feeling that your virtual hands are actually your own. They work in sync with Oculus Rift VR headset to give gamers a real experience.
Google Cardboard: Google Cardboard is a virtual reality (VR) platform established for use with a head mount for a smartphone. The viewer is used by placing a smartphone into the back of it and viewing through the lenses in the front.
Microsoft hololens: They are a pair of mixed reality smart glasses which goes beyond the screen and blends digital world blend into the real world.
Aren’t these devices fascinating? I am sure they are so amazing and interesting that it catches the attention of almost everyone who looks at them. And this is just the start of virtual reality. According to experts, there is a lot more to be explored in this field, which is a reason it is one of the most coveted fields for technology lovers and thus a great opportunity to make your career.
Difference between Virtual and Augmented reality
Augmented reality is the amalgamation of virtual reality and actual life as developers can generate images within applications that mix in with contents in the real world. In AR, users interact with virtual things in the real world and can differentiate between the two
Applications of Virtual reality (VR)
Military: This is useful for training soldiers to fight situations or other dangerous settings where they have to learn how to react in a correct manner. VR is used in flight simulation, battlefield simulation, virtual boot camps and also to provide a safe environment for soldiers suffering from battlefield trauma.
Education: It can present complex data easily to students which is both fun and easy to learn. Also, these students can interact with the objects in that environment to discover more about them. It also enables a large group of students to interact with each other.
Healthcare: VR is used in healthcare as it allows healthcare professionals to learn new skills and refreshing existing ones in a safe environment. Following are examples
- Surgery simulation
- Phobia treatment for a phobia like arachnophobia
- Robotic surgery and skills training which reduces time, risk and complexity
- As a diagnostic tool to arrive at clinical decisions with no invasive procedures and surgery
Engineering: Virtual reality engineering includes the use of 3D modelling tools and visualization tactics as part of the designing. This technology enables engineers to view their project in 3D and gain a greater understanding of how it works. They can spot any flaws or potential risks before actual implementation. Car manufacturers use virtual reality for prototyping purposes during the design process. This enables them to produce several versions which are then tested and changed as per the results.
Sport: VR is used as a training aid in many sports such as golf, athletics, skiing, cycling etc. It is used as an aid to measuring athletic performance and analyzing technique and helps with both of these. It also used in clothing/equipment design and as part of the drive to improve the audience’s experience.
Skills helpful to make a career in Virtual reality
3D graphics fundamentals: A lot of what you do in VR depends upon the graphics. Thus it is of utmost importance to understand and learn about dimensions, techniques of implementing effective 3D.
Developing interactive apps: Knowledge of how to design and build front-end applications, enhance performance, and also how to work in resource-constrained environments is vital to building apps based on VR experience.
As there are very few designed courses to specialize in virtual reality, requires a lot of training for the skills. So while hiring for the job of being in the virtual reality domain, the focus is on the aptitude, learning ability and creativity of the candidate. Eventually, the employees are trained with the required technical skills.
Careers in Virtual reality
- UX/UI Designers: UX/UI Designers create roadmaps representing how the app should flow and also design the look and feel of the app so that the app is user-friendly and easy to use.
- Unity Developers: Specializing in Unity 3D software, Unity Developers create the foundation of the experience.
- Software and interaction developers: These developers convert the designs into applications with which users interact.
- Project Manager: The Project Manager communicates requirements, budgets, deadlines, roadblocks, and more between the client and the internal team.
- 3D Modelers: 3D modellers make lifelike 3-dimensional imagery of the application for developers and animators to understand.
- Animators: Animators bring the 3D models to life. Many 3D modellers are cross-trained in animation, which is a highly acclaimed combination to own.
- Marketing Concept artist: Once a VR app is ready, we need to communicate it to the audience in a manner it would generate a positive response from them. Thus marketing concept artist designs the concept of how to market the application.
- Gameplay engineers: involvement of a lot of VR in gaming, a very important career in the field is a gameplay engineer who designs and develops games according to trends in the domain.
So now as you know the possible career paths and skills required in Virtual reality, start learning, polish your existing skills and competencies and make a career in the wonderful world of virtual reality.