The world receives information because of people working round the clock in studios. The people running here and there with microphones and camera and we called them Journalists and this blog will help you understand how to Choose Career as Journalist.
Everyone wants to be in front of the camera and only a few who wants to work behind the lens. Holding a microphone in a hand gives you a different feel. Everyone likes to be dressed up and addressing the nation. Those TV anchors are an inspiration for many.
Making your voice heard is simply the best. There is a career in Journalism and you can very well pursue them. Career Counselling platforms do a great job in guiding students about the career options one can consider.
What resides in you? Is it Arnab Goswami or Ravish Kumar. The nation wants to know. Explore the inner self and know what exactly you want.
Are you curious to know about world events? Do you want to cover the world and want the microphone in your hand? Does the studio setting, the camera makes you feel comfortable?
If it does, then maybe journalism is the calling career for you. You should pursue Journalism as a career.
“ Become a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world.”
Many people have a misconception or only one-sided view on the career journalism. Arre Kya Karoge Journalism Karke, Mike Leke Ghumoge. This is the attitude of the majority. Don’t get furious. Change their perception about journalism and show them what all you can do after being a journalist.
Let’s have a look at the career of a journalist.
What is Journalism?
The profession of collecting, writing of news for newspapers, magazines, and websites due to the presence of news online as a result of technology, the internet and going digital.
The act of gathering, creating news and information to be disseminated to a mass audience. News and Information is a product of journalism.
Who is a Journalist?
A journalist is a person involved in the profession of journalism. The person responsible for collecting, assessing, writing, bringing news from all corners of the world to you. They cover events and give you information. We have a “sports journalist” covering sports events like matches.
How to become a Journalist
Becoming a Journalist is not a cakewalk at all. It requires efforts and practice of years to become a successful journalist. The big names that rule the news channel today be it Rajdeep Sardesai, Ravish Kumar, Anjana Om Kashyap have given their lives in the pursuit of truth.
Being a Journalist is a tough job. There are hundreds of journalist. Do you know the name of all the hundreds? No, only a few that can be counted on the fingertips. This is because of the work they have been doing for past years and continue to do.
“ Ratings Does not Lasts, Good Journalism Does. “
Top Colleges of Journalism
- Vivekananda Institute Of Professional Studies (VIPS)
- Jagannath Institute Of Management (JIMS)
- IP College for Women
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce
- Fairfield Institute of Management and Technology
Eligibility to pursue Journalism:
- Pass class 12th in any stream Science, Commerce or Humanities
- Obtain at least 50 % of aggregate in 12th Boards
- Pass class 12th from a recognized board
The process of becoming a Journalist:
- As soon as you end your class 12th and wish to do journalism. Prepare for the Entrance examination. The admission to this course is through an entrance test. A test called CET (common entrance test) is conducted by various colleges of IPU (Indraprastha University). Whereas if you want to do journalism from Delhi University, you may get admitted based on cut-offs or entrance test depending on the college. The CET is an objective type paper with four sections.
- The CET rank holds value. Your rank score decides the college you will get. Lower the rank better the college you get admitted to. After the entrance, you are called for the counselling session and then you are asked to select a college of preference and then finally you get admitted to the college
- So, now you got admitted to a college offering a journalism degree. You are a journalism student. It is an undergraduate, 3-year program and after completing it you get a degree in Bachelors of Journalism. It is a combination of theory subjects as well as practical. You get to try hands on enough practical assignments. Good colleges have newsroom settings, studios, video labs etc. Gain as much as you can.
- During the third year course, you will be required to go for a training period for one month preferably. It is known as Summer Internships. You are required to work with media houses such as Times Of India, Hindustan Times or News agencies such as PTI (Press Trust of India). The idea is to make you work with newspaper, Tv channels such as Aaj Tak, ABP to give you functional exposure to how things work. You will realize the actual world in which this journalistic work is different from what you study.
- After completing your undergraduate and getting a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism. Students go for higher studies. Study the Master’s degree. Master of Journalism or M.A (journalism). Many Institutes offer the Master program in Journalism Field. It is a two-year course. Colleges offering the master’s degree are:
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Indian Institute of Professional Studies
- Galgotia University
- Once you are done with your studies and get a relevant degree and are now qualified as a student in Journalism. You are ready to work as a journalist and take up the profession of journalism. Many colleges offer campus placements and you can find a job for yourself too.
As a journalist, you are entitled to work with media houses in Newspaper and Television. The choice is yours.
Journalist Career: The hierarchy
- Staff Reporter
- Principal Reporter
- Senior Reporter
In the beginning when you join you will work as a trainee. As you advance, you will climb up the ladder through our own efforts and by the news you generate. Will assign you beats like education, health, Bureau. The Bureau beats like the Supreme Court covered by an experienced journalist. You will work on local beats. You develop sources on the beats that give you information.
Salary of a journalist is not that handsome in the beginning. You work in a salary of 10,000-15000. It may increase with a change of company, experience.
As a journalist, it is important to establish your credibility. The profession of journalism works on truth and credibility. As you represent a nation, expect you to be truthful in your dealings.
People place trust in you as you give information to them that matters to you.
The Journalist profession is the trusted one. It works on developing faith among the audience. It takes years to get your name count among the hundreds. The well-received profession of serving the nation with news and empowering them.
Journalist risks their lives in extreme situations just to give you a piece of news and information that matters to the world.
Proudly say: I AM A JOURNALIST.
With this, I come to the end of this topic. If you think this was an informational piece of writing. You can read more on Edu4Sure. You can also comment which “Career” you want to know and we will cover that in our list.