Can Internet technology be averted in this epoch? Not at all. Can one deny the fact how the internet has changed every person’s lifestyle, No ways? Can one stop pondering on how one can make the best use of this Technology, Ummmm not under any condition. Can the Internet be used to change the mannerisms of learning, Yes of course, but how can all this be done, let’s check out :
The internet technology has drastically affected various sectors in India. Turning the spotlight onto the education sector, this technology has given birth to internet addicts through the means of Smartphones which are conveniently available in the market. So let’s glimpse through the classrooms of these internet addicts –
Imagine entering a lecture hall of any random college, the first thing that grabs one’s attention are those engrossed eyeballs in a rectangular device, or either a bunch of students trying to hide themselves to click selfies.
Yes, you heard it right, this is the stark reality of today’s classrooms in India. Gone are those days where students ran behind teachers for notes, rather today; the students are seen taking snapshots of notes from their teachers and fellow mates.
So yes, welcome to today’s generation who cannot live without smartphones for even a second.
It does not bother them if a teacher stops the lecture due to their illegitimate activities and even rules which forbid the use of cell phones in classrooms are totally dissented by these mobile zombies. Hence, Jeering of professors rather proves to be inept in diverting the attention of students. So, is the “lack of focus” due to the ineffectiveness of teachers or it is the student-smartphone relationship to be blamed?
The answer to this is completely disputable, but there are certain remedies to improvise the student-teacher relationship and dismiss the constant tussle amidst the students and professors. This is only possible when innovation will meet the masses, when a mishmash of new ideas will take place with existing ones, to bring forward a completely new science of learning.
Hence the given approaches are not mere solutions to conventional forms of learning rather they are the prospective tools of education :
1. Adoption of Blended learning – Stepping outside the comfort zone: The mundane classrooms can’t be ejected out of the system, rather combinations of traditional and virtual classrooms can solve the problem. As the name suggests ” Blended learning” makes use of hybrid classrooms where both features of traditional and virtual classrooms are applied. Interactional activities which are not possible virtually are conducted face-to-face. Thus, this technique makes learning more participative as well as innovative.
2. Use of Smartphones- the device for new-age of learning : *Stop blinking your eyes*……This may sound crazy but you totally read it right. Mobile learning has proven to be one viable option for teachers to generate a hassle-free teaching experience. This ubiquitous technique is even accepted by UNESCO for advocacy of digital learning. The device which certainly seemed to hamper the learning process can be used to boost up the teaching environment ( Making your weaknesses your strengths) through mobile applications, sharing material on Google drives, engaging in discussions and production of useful content. Hence this bane can now be turned into a boon if employed judiciously.
3. Gamification, the fun way of learning: Living in a tech-savvy world where the young minds are well acquainted with the upcoming technologies, it has thus become pivotal to integrate electronic components within the education system of India. Gamification is that ingredient which possesses the potential to change the whole scenario of learning. The glam-factor of this technique involves video game layouts and entertainment elements to provide a fun learning experience. This technique can be implemented through video games, quizzes, or even 3d simulation systems.
4. Social learning – Considering the unconsidered: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn are all social platforms which are rarely talked about in classrooms. Social media is one offshoot of the internet world which has overpowered the minds of all. These platforms generate large amounts of material daily, which aid in widening the spectrum of one’s mind, therefore generating awareness and knowledge; which is the ultimate goal of education. Social learning in today’s time has thus become significant and therefore its incorporation in classrooms can create a stage for discussions which would help in inviting participants from in and outside the peer group. Hence, Teachers can freely assign tasks to students and monitor their activities simultaneously.
5. Flipped Learning – flicking the classroom: As the name suggests, “Flip Learning” is a type of blended learning which believes in the motto of “school work at home and homework at school,”. This technique allows the students to play the role of the teachers and vice-versa, therefore lessening the burden of teachers and hooking in the focus of students. Hence this technique efficiently modifies the teaching culture and allows the learner to dig into the depths of the topics with the guidance of teachers. Many people may question the use of this technique without the components of digital learning, but wait a minute; have you wondered how incomplete this method could appear without its key constituents. Digital learning in a flipped class proves to be significant for students to procure reliable and updated information, whereas it helps the teachers to deliver an instant and anonymous evaluation of the student. Therefore all the mentioned tactics are half done without digital elements.
6. Informational blog posts- developing a user-friendly method: Blogs in the forms of articles, essays and videos are in vogue. Implementation of this technique in the education sector can change the teaching process efficaciously. Blogs can be considered the new way of jotting down notes and sharing it amongst the group members and future audience. The flexibility of viewing information, sharing viewpoints and the smooth flow of information can upsurge the chances of this method to be a hit among active learners.
7. Massive Open Online Courses(MOOCs)- an emerging enterprise: MOOCs may be a bit offbeat from this topic, but it is considered an effective measure to gain knowledge through distance learning. These courses are generally open for varsity students who prefer to work as per their own terms and conditions. Hence, this learning could be useful for learners who either require their own space and time and prefer digital learning instead of traditional classroom teaching.
Hence, all these measures help to strengthen the student-teacher relationship with respect to factors like infrastructure, student satisfaction, the know-how of educators and the proper availability of software licenses. Both the “factors” and “techniques” go hand in hand for a putting forward a successful education system.
Therefore, keeping in mind all these factors of a “dynamic environment”, one can perceive the changing behavior of students to be sheer indicators of a faulty education system which has to be altered soon with the new modes of E-learning.
As ingenious Elliot Masie says, “We need to bring learning to people instead of people to learning.” is truly an example to remembered in a dynamic society like today where everyday opines to new modes of learning. So the bottom line is that it is crucial for teachers to understand the requirements of students and similarly students need to understand the predicament of teachers.